Version date: 12 September 2011
Scope and application
This Privacy Statement applies to the Avanade Alumni Network site (www.avandealumni.com) hereafter referred to as the "Alumni Site".
Use of the site implies acceptance of this Privacy Statement
The information you provide on this site as a user is used by Avanade for the purpose of administering your membership and use of the site as a member of the Avanade Alumni Network. This website is located and primarily operated in the United States of America. Your personal information will be collected and used in accordance with the terms of this Privacy Statement and applicable data privacy laws.
Transfer of Your Personal Data
We may transfer your personal data to countries outside of the European Economic Area, including the United States, in accordance with this policy and applicable laws. When we transfer your information to an agent or service provider located in another country, we will make sure that they agree to apply the same levels of protection as we are required to apply to your information and to use your information strictly in accordance with our instructions.
Your privacy on the Alumni Site
We want you to feel secure when visiting our site and are committed to maintaining your privacy online. Please read this Privacy Statement to understand how your personal data will be treated as you use this site. This Statement may change from time to time so please check back periodically.
The Alumni Site is a private site available only to Alumni, former interns and employees of Avanade. Please do not give out your username or password to anyone. If you know of an alumnus looking to get access, please ask them to register at the site. In addition, please respect the privacy of other Alumni members and do not give out personal data obtained from the site to anyone.
Please keep in mind that whenever you voluntarily disclose personal information online - in the optional fields in your profile, through email, or in chat areas - that information is accessible to the rest of the Alumni community, and may be made public. Avanade cannot be responsible for any misuse of such information by others, including any unsolicited messages you may receive as a result of providing information at this site.
You have control over contacts you make on the alumni site. My Contacts requires two-way confirmation of requests so that when someone requests to be your contact you must confirm that you want to be their contact. The data that your contacts can access is controlled by your privacy settings. You can select to make information in your profile visible to just your contacts or to all users of the Alumni Site.
Finally, activity feed functionality will be added to the Alumni Site in a future release. Activity feeds highlight activities you take on the Alumni Site such as adding a new contact, submitting a news article, or joining a group. You can select who sees your different types of activities feeds by updating your privacy settings.
What information do we gather?
The Alumni Site collects personal data when you directly give it to us, such as:
- when you register. During registration and profile set-up, we require that you provide your name and email address. If you were previously a user of another Avanade Alumni website, additional information that you provided to that site may be automatically added to your profile at this site. In addition, your user profile offers you the opportunity to provide a wide range of additional information, including postal address, current occupation, industry, education, and personal and business interests. The more information you volunteer (and the more accurate it is), the better we are able to customize your experience. However, please supply only information that is relevant for the stated purposes of this website. We may keep a record of the following types of information: `
- correspondence between you and the Alumni Site,
- responses to online surveys that we use for research and quality control purposes, and
- IP addresses, which are collected indirectly through our website technology and used for system administration purposes.
On pages where the Alumni Site collects personal information we will include a link to this Privacy Statement.
What are cookies and clear GIFs, and how does the site use them?
(1) Verify your identity and to access your account information (stored on our computers) in order to deliver to you a better and more personalized service. This cookie is set when you register or "Sign In" and is modified when you "Sign Out" of our services.
(2) Estimate our audience size. Each user is given a unique cookie which is then used to determine the extent of repeat usage, usage by a registered user versus an unregistered user, and to help target advertisements based on user interests and behavior.
(4) Measure certain traffic patterns, which areas of the site you have visited, and your visiting patterns in the aggregate. We use this research data to understand our users' habits in order to improve our service and personalize the content that users will see on our sites.
By modifying your browser preferences, you have the choice to accept all cookies, to be notified when a cookie is set, or to reject all cookies. If you choose to reject all cookies you will be unable to use those Alumni Site services that require registration in order to participate. You can still use many other services of the Alumni Site even if you do not accept cookies.
Most of the types of information described in this section are not tracked on an individual basis - that is, we use data to generate statistics and trends, but we do not generally use this data to track what particular, identified users do at the site. Some cookie and clear GIF data, however, is identifiable to you.
How do we use your personal data?
The Alumni Site will use your personal data for the following purposes:
- To enable other users to search for and locate you via the directory.
- Primarily, to provide our users with a customized experience on our site, including personalization services such as News and Events and interactive communications.
- To research and analyze our users' demographics, interests and behavior in an aggregated form to better understand and serve our users and improve our site and its offerings.
- To contact you periodically with communications about events, publications or employment opportunities with Avanade, which we feel might interest you, unless you ask not to be contacted. You will have an opportunity to opt out of receiving further messages.
- To share with other internal Avanade systems, specifically the Sales & Marketing Toolkit (SMT), to contact you with industry relevant information. Click here to opt-out of sharing information with Avanade SMT.
- To further US business development objectives including the US Local Market Development Initiative which is intended to improve local market awareness, drive local business and ultimately increase local market share by leveraging the relationships that Avanade Alumnus have with target clients. Specifically, your information will be shared with Avanade US Senior Executives who will contact you regarding your existing relationships with target clients. Click here to opt out of having your information shared for these purposes.
- We may also use data for other purposes, which we would always describe to you when we collect the information.
With whom does the Alumni Site share my information?
The Alumni Site does not sell or rent your personal data. We will not disclose any of the personally data you provide to this site to third parties, except:
- to our service providers, such as auditors, and contractors who may help develop or maintain this site,
- with your prior and informed consent, or
- when required by law, or
- to business partners or sponsors where this is necessary for the purposes related to the Alumni program, in which case this will be specifically described to you prior to data collection or prior to transferring the data, and you can choose not to allow the transfer by not using that particular service, or
- in special cases when this is necessary in order to identify, contact or bring legal action against someone who may be violating our Terms of Service or may be causing injury to or interference with (either intentionally or unintentionally) someone else's rights or property.
What are my choices and rights in relation to my personal information?
When you register, your name appears in the Alumni Directory and is visible to other registered members of the Avanade Alumni community. When you complete your profile following registration, you may choose which pieces of information are visible in the directory using the "Show" feature. You may change this at any time by editing your profile using the "My Profile" function.
You are entitled to know what information we hold about you and to have access to that information. You can access, edit or correct the information in your profile at any time.
You can choose not to receive any communications from us about events or publications we feel might be of interest to you. However, so long as you are a registered user of the site, you may not opt-out of receiving communications related to the administration of your membership - e.g. notifications about changes in service, etc.
Finally, you can ask us to delete or deactivate your user account, but then you will not be able to access any members-only areas of the site. If you choose to deactivate your account, we will delete any residual information after a reasonable time, unless otherwise required by law.
You can exercise these rights and choices by contacting us at:
Avanade Alumni Network
1932 First Avenue, Suite 607
Seattle, WA 98104
What about sensitive personal data?
We do not generally seek to collect sensitive personal data through this site. If we do seek to collect such data, we will ask you to consent to our proposed uses of the data. We may also collect some sensitive personal data incidentally. By providing us with unsolicited sensitive personal data, you consent to our using the data subject to applicable law as described in this notice. The references to "sensitive personal data" are to the various categories of personal data identified by European and other data privacy laws as requiring special treatment. These categories include personal identity numbers, racial or ethnic origin, color, nationality, political opinions or affiliations, religious, philosophical or other similar beliefs, trade union membership, physical or mental health or handicap, genetic code, substance abuse, sexual life (including sexual orientation), pregnancy, property matters or penal or criminal conviction or record (including where a pardon has been granted).
What security precautions are in place to protect the loss, misuse, or alteration of my information?
Your user account information is password-protected so that only you, Avanade have access to this personal information.
Do not divulge your password to anyone. Also remember to sign out of your account and close your browser window when you have finished using the site, particularly if you share a computer with someone else or are using a computer in a public place like a library or Internet cafe.
Enforcement of this Privacy Statement
If you think we are not adhering to the terms of this Privacy Statement, please contact Avanade at privacy@Avanade.com,
Changes to this Privacy Statement. If we ever change this Privacy Statement, we will post any changes on this page, so that you are always aware of the information that we collect, how we use it, and under what circumstances we disclose it.
If you have any further questions on this Privacy Statement or how your personal data is used in relation to the membership services at this site, please contact Avanade using the contact information provided below.